Wednesday, February 24, 2010

How do you get the most out of your college education?

College is not just about classes and partying. There is more to it.
I am at my third quarter at Cal Poly. I knew I needed to take this opportunity in college to do things I have always wanted to do.
My first quarter back, I joined KCPR, Cal Poly's radio station. It was the best thing I ever did. I have met a unique group of people that I do not think I would have found at Cal Poly.
The freedom of college also allows students to explore. I am hugely into the music scene in San Luis Obipso even though I lived in an area previously huge for music, but I never went to many shows.
I also started my own business since I have been in college. I think I would have never done this if I was at home spending time just working and taking classes.
I think students should join clubs especially one's they believe in. I am a part of the American Marketing Association at Cal Poly, Poly Habitat (Cal Poly branch of Habitat for Humanity), and recently joined the Fair Trade Club on campus.
Becoming involved and not being a shadow is my best advice. There are tons and tons of students on campus and to interact with them is a gift. College is about discovering yourself and being able to embrace people of all different backgrounds is essential.
There are so many possibilities to be involved in your campus. Branching out allows one to break their shell. Make the most out of college. Do the things you never thought you would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment